Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

It’s been thoroughly enjoyable learning about coding the Edison robot with Python this semester in Pat Kelly’s Introduction to Robotics and Micro-controllers class at Dominican University! I really like the fact that any age can use Edison with block, Scratch, or Python coding. We got a good deal on the Edison robots and gave one to each tech presenter for our D90 Tech Day last Friday. How gratifying to see our STEM teacher using Edison in class today! I was thinking of offering an Edison robotics club next year, but if our STEM teacher starts using them I will find different materials to use. He is a bit concerned about battery usage. I also look forward to doing more things with students and Raspberry Pi’s, so maybe that will be the direction I go in. It’s nice to know that I have a video lesson all ready to go!


This course brought the reality of robots taking over more and more jobs front and center. The fact that robots are prevalent in industries like fashion surprised me. I feel motivated to try to give students more opportunities to create things using circuitry, boards, and motors.  Additionally I was rather unaware of the growth and prevalence of A.I. The Ted Talk about what happens when robots become smarter than humans is startling, but I’m grateful that I am aware of this issue. If you haven’t seen it, you wont want to miss it!



  What Happens When Our Computers Get Smarter Than We Are? (Ted Talk)


No comments:

Post a Comment